Thursday, July 31, 2014

Delayed and Immediate Reinforcement for Running

This post is mostly for myself to keep up with my running routine. Lately with personal and work changes I need something consistent and a healthy alternative is the ticket. At first I was doing well with running at least three times a week, but within the past few weeks I have been slipping. So here is a list of delayed and immediate reinforcement from running:


IMMEDIATE:
1. Freeing up my inner dimension: I am so concerned about my pace, breathing, and dodging obstacles (other people, trash cans, dogs, etc.) that I have no time to think about life stressors.
2. Sweat it out: sweating can be conditioned to be a reinforcer
3. Environment: Running outside is a lot easier than being stuck on a treadmill due to the scenery. Living in a coastal town it is beautiful to see sail boats, sea birds, and other landmarks to take your mind off of the fatigue.



DELAYED:
1. Checking off of my schedule: I am an individual who is highly reinforced by having a To-Do list everyday. When running is on the schedule it is more reinforcing to check off the list.
2. Making progress: when you begin to run farther and farther distances it becomes more reinforcing to keep running. Whether its just adding .10 of a mile or accomplishing a hill sprint all of it will get me to be more motivated to put on those sneakers.
3. Restful nights sleep: Based on my summer schedule I run in the early evenings which makes falling asleep all the easier.
4. Common Interest: A few friends of mine have been running for years, so it can tend to come up in conversation. So when it comes to advice I have a pool of knowledge to go to.
5. Smiles: Mentalism, but running a few times a week makes me happy with myself. Is it self reinforcement? I think so! But I am happy with my healthy choices and appearance.


And last but not least: What is the one thing that is true about all humans? We can lie.

What other immediate/delayed reinforcers do you rely on to get off the couch?

No comments:

Post a Comment