Wednesday, July 23, 2014

BDS Modules- Reinforcing or Punishing Study Behavior?

As I get closer to taking the boards exam I have noticed one thing- the modules by Behavior Development Solutions are very difficult! Now I thought the program for my masters was difficult but these modules requiring 100% accuracy is crossing the border to making studying highly aversive.

Now are they worth it? Let's break it down....

PROS
- SUCCESS: Based on data collected, the individuals who complete the modules are 90% or more likely to pass on the first try compared to those who just study from The White Book (CHH- like you didn't know).
- QUESTION FORMAT: all multiple choice and worded similarly to the questions on the current exam
- EASY NAVIGATION: broken down into subject matter making studying up to you
- FLUENCY & ACQUISITION: have to meet 100% on both in order to complete that module

CONS
- TIME CONSUMING: one afternoon I spent 4 hours and only completed 6% of the modules
- EXPENSIVE: for a 6 month membership you are paying close to $250 and it goes up and up if you want access for a year (this is on top of paying the application and testing facility fee for the exam).
- MASTERY CRITERION: having to get nothing less than 100% on every single acquisition and fluency section is difficult (some I had to retake multiple times because I would miss 1 or 2 questions).

I would recommend reviewing The White Book and notes from classes when studying to decrease the probability of burning out (learned this the hard way). What tricks do you use when studying for a major exam? What subject area in ABA is the most challenging to you (ethics is a tough one for me)?

In the end it will all be worth it! Also lets end with an ABA joke.



No comments:

Post a Comment